Monday, January 27, 2014

The Decorista Chronicles//DIY Wall Decals!

It's been a while since I did a sassy wall art tut here at Craft A Doodle Doo but this was invented at the request of a very special friend who said she wants some decorspiration for her room. This is so easy, looks as in vogue as they come and is made with one basic material. On top of that, it's removable so you can change 'em up anytime and you see why we are not doing stencils here? I'd love doings stencils on my walls, but then the paranoia drops in that the future me would probably indulge in some other design. This one's a no-mess peel off and that makes it all the more cooler!
This of course doesn't mean you have to make a jewelry niche too, headboard decals are the thing I say but I have a pretty su-weet headboard already. The best bet would be doing this under a shelf (or on the top of it). Also consider hanging a grand oval mirror over your vanity and having the decal as the frame of the mirror. Endless options I tell ya.

Start away already you tell me. buuuuuut I can never start without this brilliant piece of inspiration.

Materials:
1.Adhesve sheet in any color you'd like and in any texture (You know, the peel-off back ones. I'm using my trusty velvet textured adhesive sheet in deep red)

2.Masking/scotch tape,X-acto (craft knife) and a pair of large and small scissors

3.A ruler to level the decal onto the wall.

4.A cutting mat or any surface as such

5. One whoppin' pattern you'd like to decal. Look around for lots of inspiration. My friend loves damask so that is what I chose.

How-to:

1.Start by printing out a template of your design. Make sure you print it out the right size. My damask corner patterns are about half of an A4 sheet (just so that you get the idea). 

Cut out the adhesive sheet to be double the area of your template and slightly larger and fold it in half. 

2.Tape all the edges of your pattern onto the folded adhesive sheet so everything is tightly secure in place and won't more when you're cutting out the pattern.

3.Using a craft knife and the different sized scissors, cut the pattern out. A good tip is to not start out with a too complicated pattern.
Here's the two damask corners for each side of my "shelf" decal.
I then cut out a long strip and two smaller ones (for the damask corners) measuring the width of the wall/space I wanted to put my decal on. This long strip was supposed to go on top of the damask corners.

4.Use a ruler (or probably the leveling app on your Iphone,lol) to make sure you have the alignment right when you place the decal. Peel off and smooth it onto the surface. Since it comes off mess free, even if you have those annoying 'wrinkles' you can peel back off and smooth it over again.

And that's it!

As you see mine is fashioned liked a little jewelry alcove. So I used transparent command hooks to hang in pretty jewelry.
If you're wondering where the jewelry from my faux Vintage China wall display went (I took it out so that it shouldn't compete with the jewelry under the decal in the photographs :D )

This looks so much more stunning in real life than in the pictures (one of those see to believe pretty kinda things!). A showstopping impact ladies!

So are your walls bare? Dying for a classy makeover, maybe lookin' for a pop of elegant color? Or maybe you've just been on the plain and straight quest for the easiest way to do homemade decals.
Now you know ;)

If you liked this nifty idea, pin and share it with other people you know. You can also be pals with me on Pinterest, Facebook and follow for some glamorous new decorhacks!

Meanwhile, if you'd like to lay those pretty eyes on more of my DIYs, you can drop in to tour my DIY gallery here!

Have a great day,
Nash

INSPIRATION COLLAGE PHOTO CREDITS:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/6617422/Chandelier-Wall-Decal-modern-decals-
http://www.houzz.com/photos/6616204/Riviera-Giant-Peel---Stick-Applique-modern-decals-http://www.houzz.com/photos/6617239/Cherry-Blossoms-Wall-Decals-modern-decals-




6 comments:

  1. Omg <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Awesomeee this is one of the coolest DIY u have done
    Might convince my sister to make this! i need one for my purple room rofl :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you Sadaf!
    I hope ur sis agrees! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty wall prints! Hard to believe you DIY all these decors. The jewel niche is lovely, but I think it would take patience to keep it clean. I love the adhesive sheets. You could practically have any wall design you want as long you can print your own choice of graphics. Faye Fowler @ Master Copy & Printing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to write the sweet comment. Mine hangs at the side of my closet so keeping it away from the window helps to avoid the dust :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree! Thanks Jess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luxe Loft Custom Wall Decals! *If you have recently ordered a custom designed decal and have not received a message from us with a proof. animal wall graphics

    ReplyDelete


FRESH IRRESISTABLE IDEAS...

RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.